Labor, Justice and the Environment: Historical Insights, Alliances and Challenges
May 20 – May 22
Printable Conference Brochure
Labor environmentalism and climate change headline program
Labor historians, students, environmental activists, politicians and trade unionists will gather at the Portland State University Conference Center in Portland on May 20-22 to share views on “Labor, Justice and the Environment.” See program brochure for complete details on how to register and list of panels.
Washington AFL-CIO president Jeff Johnson will update the conference on the Paris Climate Change Conference with author Jeremy Brecher joining him via Skype.
More than 20 workshops, presentations, films and displays will bring labor history to life. Among the topics to be addressed:
- A historic coal strike in Depression-era Washington and the 1980s canning strike in Watsonville, California
- Fighting to save the Canadian and US postal services and longshore workers in the Pacific Northwest
- Labor environmentalism and building coalitions to tackle climate change
- Conscientious war objectors on the Oregon coast and making labor history digital style
- Chinese and Indian workers in Astoria, Oregon, and the history of Oregon’s African-American loggers
- Canadian women’s march against poverty, the living wage fight, and retirement security
- US premiere of Goodwin’s Way and a film about the Denver Romero Theatre Troupe
- The literature of labor, and preserving historical labor records
Conference participants will also enjoy musical interludes provided by the Portland band General Strike, Washington State environmental singer-songwriter Dana Lyons, and Eugene’s roots duo Monday Morning Denial. Exhibitor display tables will also be available.
Ron Verzuh, Oregon Vice-President, Pacific Northwest Labor History Association.
We thank these Co-Sponsors for their support:
Amalgamated Transit Union Local 757
BC Government Employees Union
International Association of Machinists District W24
International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Credit Union
Labor’s Community Service Agency, Inc.
Labor Education and Research Center
Marion-Yamhill Central Labor Council
Northwest Oregon Labor Council
Oregon Historical Society
Oregon School Employees Association
Portland Federation of School Professionals
Service Employees International Union Local 503
Service Employees International Union Local 49
International Brotherhood of Teamsters Local 206
United Steel Workers District 12